We teach history to:
- Fire pupils’ curiosity about the past in Britain and the wider world
- Encourage thinking about how the past influences the present
- Help students develop a chronological framework for their knowledge of significant events and people
- Foster a sense of identity and an increased understanding of pupils’ own position in their own community and the world
- Develop a range of skills and abilities – particularly those related to finding out about the past, explaining what happened and what people then and now think about what happened.
Through history we can also:
- Improve pupils’ skills in literacy, numeracy and ICT
- Develop pupils’ thinking skills
- Promote pupils’ awareness and understanding of gender, cultural, spiritual and moral issues
- Develop pupils as active citizens.